Washing car is often a fun activity for many on a sunny Sunday, because who doesn’t like to move around in a clean, shiny car. However, there’s one part of the vehicle which everyone finds a little tough to maintain, i.e. the wheels. Typical alloy wheels are usually stylish, though it still does trap in some dirt, dust, and mud from the road. A substantial amount of grime is produced by the brake pads as well.
Luckily, several products have been designed to take care of this task and make it a little easy for us. nevertheless, it is also tough to tell which product is the best one. Don’t get overwhelmed looking at the vast variety of products in the market, as we have got you covered already. Read further to explore the best products, handpicked by us for you, followed by a buying guide for the best wheel cleaners for cars as well. So, let’s dig in!
8 Best Wheel Cleaners Reviewed
1. Sonax (230200-755) Wheel Cleaner
- Safe On All Factory Installed Wheels: Acid-Free, Ph Balanced Formula Won'T Damage Wheels, Safe On...
- Watch It Work: The Color Changing Formula Activates When It Comes In Contact With The Ferrous Metals...
- Advanced And Effective Chemistry: Full Effect, Non Acid Wheel Cleaner Attaches And Emulsifies...
- Full Effect Is Great For Both The Diy (Do-It-Yourself) And The Professional. Effortlessly Achieve...
2. CarGuys Super Cleaner
- ✅ The Hype is Real! – Are you tired of using cleaners that work, but not as good as you...
- ✅ Replace your Cabinet of Chemicals! – Do you get confused by all the different types of...
- ✅ Super Clean any Surface! – This multi surface product works on absolutely every interior or...
- ✅ Why choose CAR GUYS? – We Care About Quality! Our products are made with the latest...
- ✅ We Care About Customer Satisfaction! – We're Not Happy, If You're Not Happy! If you're not...
3. Meguiar’s G9524 Hot Rims Wheel Cleaner
- Meguiars G9524 24 Oz Hot Rims & Cool Care All Wheel Cleaner
4. Mothers 05924 Foaming Wheel & Tire Cleaner
- Foaming, non-acidic spray, formulated to quickly and easily clean both wheels and tires, including...
- Safe for painted, clearcoated, color coated, steel, modular, chrome, or factory coated wheels and...
- Unique spray on, hose off design safely penetrates, dissolves and suspends all types of brake dust,...
- For use on factory/OEM coated wheels and hubcaps only. Avoid polished or roughcast aluminum, billet...
5. TriNova Wheel Cleaner/Rim Cleaner Spray
6. Aero Cosmetics Wet or Waterless Cleaner
7. Adam’s Deep Wheel Cleaner
- ✅ WHY CHOOSE ADAM’S WHEEL CLEANER? - Which part of your car takes the biggest beating? Your...
- ✅ ADVANCED CHEMICAL TECHNOLOGY - Our Wheel Cleaner was made to compliment your arsenal of car...
- ✅ CAR CLEANING MADE EASY - Most wheel cleaners can be harmful to your wheel finish and dissolve...
- ✅ IS IT SAFE FOR MY WHEEL FINISH? - Adam’s Wheel Cleaner is safe on almost all wheel finishes,...
- ✅ 110% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE & USA MADE - At Adam’s, we strive to bring the BEST car cleaning...
8. Griot’s Garage 10970 Wheel Cleaner
- pH balanced
- Safe for all wheel finishes
- Removes brake dust, tar, dirt, and road grime
- Leaves wheels clean and shiny
- Approved by BBS, Dayton Wire Wheels, and The Tire Rack
Best Wheel Cleaner Buying Guide & FAQ
Having read the above list of best wheel cleaners, you must now be thinking, which one is the best for me, right? Don’t worry, as we have got you some essential information which is necessary to understand the product and choose the one for yourself!
What Are Wheel Cleaners & How Do They Work?
Wheel cleaner products were perhaps designed by a very blessed, soft soul who saw the poor wheel going through what not daily, hence developed this amazing invention.
For one thing, wheels are constantly on the move and are battered by loose stone and grime pieces on the road, at times get caked in dust or are driven in the mud. In worse cases, they are also exposed to the hot material disposed of by the brakes. Having said that, one can imagine how hard it is to clean wheels and that’s where the amazing, wheel cleaners step in.
Usually, the product is formulated to deal with dirt, dust, mud, and grime only but will also be made to take on the metallic contamination which is a cast of materials coming from your brakes. This is what differentiates a wheel cleaner from any random cleaning product and is aimed to be used only on wheels.
Different Types of Cleaners Available in the Market
Generally speaking, most cleaners are the same as they are formulated to be either a clean off or a spray-on thing, which takes all the dirt and grime off, leaving the wheels to look all shiny and new.
However, there are still some minor differences between products making them more suitable for one item than the other. Look out for features such as:
All the products listed in this guide are either PH neutral or safe for use on various surfaces like alloys and paints. Before spraying anywhere, make sure you are double checking the label that it can be used on all surfaces. Though generally speaking, cleaners with a neutral PH do not cause any damage. However, this can not be stated for all-wheel cleaners as some are very acidic and hence dangerous to the wheels, tires, and paintwork as well. But if you are choosing a product from our list, you are covered and do not have to worry about this aspect.
Some of the products mentioned in our list are formulated such that they change color when reacting with a metal or dirt contaminant. This helps in getting visual cues about whether a product is working or not, and when the wheels are clean.
Some cleaners including some on the list above claim to work with a water rinse i.e. you just spray it and wipe off. This will make the task much efficient, but it is not the case with wheels that are very dirty or require some extra care or attention.
What Equipment Will I Need to Clean My Wheels?
Apart from the wheel cleaner itself, there are a couple of things you need to make the job faster and achieve better results. These include:
A bucket of water also does the job, but frankly speaking, a pressure washer makes it far more efficient and faster.
These help you dig into those parts of the wheels which are hard to reach, especially the treads and alloy arches where dirt and grime hides.
It is always handy to have some for a cleaning job, as clothes help you wipe off the cleaner and can hence get to work. Microfiber towels will further help you dry and buff off the surface of wheels.
It is great to seal your wheels with wax as you finish. This promotes a longer-lasting shine and prevents the accumulation of any dirt in the future.